According to the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Bureau of Transportation Statistics, the nation’s freight system moves 48.3 million tons of goods worth $46 billion each day. That’s the equivalent of 57 tons of freight per year for every man, woman, and child in the United States. With 117 million households and 28 million small businesses participating in an economy that demands efficient freight shipping, the logistics highway navigated by every package you send and receive is astounding. The backbone of all this activity? The truck!
The United States economy depends on trucks to deliver nearly 70 percent of all freight transported annually in the U.S., says TruckInfo.net, accounting for $671 billion worth of manufactured and retail goods transported by truck in the U.S. alone. Here are some other statistics of note:
- Professional truck drivers combine to drive more than 400 billion miles on the road each year.
- The U.S. Postal Service, UPS, and FedEx ship a combined 11 billion packages in a year.
- Nearly 75% of the 48.3 million tons of goods moved each day are moved to places within 250 miles of where the shipment originates.
- About 50% of all trucks typically travel to destinations within 50 miles of their origin.
- Trucks carry the largest share of shipments moving 500 miles or less from the point of origin.
- Trucks move 84% of their freight less than 750 miles.
- Trucks hauling semi-trailers accounted for about 63% of commercial truck travel in 2011.
- By 2040, long-haul freight shipping by truck in the U.S. is forecast to approach 460 million miles per day.
If freight shipping is a part of your business, you know that all carriers have their own way of operating. But with 57 tons of freight per year for every man, woman, and child in the United States traveling the highways of America, it’s imperative that you get them on the same page as your business. The experts at Intelligent Audit can help you bridge the gap. With a comprehensive freight audit solution in place on the front end, you can be sure there are no overcharges or billing errors and that your contracted rates are in compliance before payment. Our software and account representatives focus on more than 150 key audit points throughout our audit process to ensure that nothing you’re due is overlooked. We can also answer any of your questions about remittance advances, open balances, and any other freight payment issue standing in the way of your profits.
Best of all, you don’t pay until we perform. Contact us today to request a risk-free test-run of Intelligent Audit’s freight service recovery software and find out how much you can recover.
Intelligent Audit provides its clients with a global, all-mode transportation audit, recovery, freight payment, and business intelligence reporting partner.